Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Encyclopedia Britannica Free for Bloggers

When I was young, I used to read Encyclopedia Britannica. No, not occasionally when I needed to write a book report, but from A to Z. Typically I use wikipedia or citizendium these days, but EB still has a certain nostalgia for me. I was happy to hear about this opportunity for bloggers.

If you’re a Web publisher—a blogger, webmaster, or writer—you can get complimentary access to the complete Encyclopædia Britannica online. It’s a rich trove of reliable and high-quality information that you can use to check quick facts, research topics in depth, or just read to enjoy.

If this promotion succeeds, EB might end up being a major player again.

8 comments:

  1. That is just so cool. Thanks a gob and I'll be linking to this, if you don't mind. I'm in Nerdtopia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news, but frankly I've always wondered if EB's former popularity over other sources was due to Anglophilia over the "Britanica" name -- although misplaced, as it's been edited and published in America since the 1930s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should also point out that another easy way to find relevant Britannica articles is to subscribe to Google’s Subscribed Link program (http://www.google.com/coop/subscribedlinks/directory/All_categories?start=10) and add EB. Now each time you search on Google, if there is a relevant EB content then it would be on the first page of Google results. - Kunal Sen (Britannica)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for pointing this out John... I've just signed up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome. I love using wikipedia to check some quick information about something I do not understand, or even to get a quick background on an assignment, but a more reliable source is great news. I also read the encyclopedia when younger, never told anyone that though...I wonder why....

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I also read the encyclopedia when younger, never told anyone that though...I wonder why.... "

    It's considered pretty nerdy. At least when I was younger, nerdy was considered the opposite of cool. Glad to see those attitudes are changing.

    ReplyDelete